Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ideas

Everyone always wants to know where writers get their ideas. But I have to tell you... that's the wrong question to be asking. Truth is, ideas are everywhere all the time, free for the taking. But those ideas are just ideas. You can't copyright an idea for a very good reason. It's nothing until you shape it into something tangible. The question people should be asking is, "How do you recognize if an idea is worthwhile?"

For me, it's all about the sense I have that this idea must already exist. It's so good that it must already be part of the world. Along with that comes a feeling of urgency because if the idea hasn't already been developed, it certainly will be soon. And also, if I thought of it, someone else (who is of course a better and faster writer than me) will think of it, too.

So there you have it, the foolproof way of figuring out if an idea is worth pursuing or not. Equal parts excitement, urgency and insecurity.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! You totally nailed it! I kept scanning the Daily Deals, dreading that I'd find MY very story idea already written and sold to someone else. And sometimes, there have been close calls - which means I'm on the right track - but I nod and smile and think, "But mine's better." :) Thanks for nailing it!

Brenda said...

Thanks Kym. Glad this rang true for you. When your comment popped up on my email today and it made me realize I haven't blogged in so long! I sort of feel like nobody is out there, reading, which makes it quite hard to keep writing, so thanks for letting me know I'm not shouting into a vacuum. Have a great day!