Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Stolen Diaries!


If you've read my website, you know I'm a huge fan of writing in a diary. I've been doing it since I was ten years old, and it's helped me in countless ways. A while back, I bought a safe to protect my diaries from fire -- and from curious children.

Last week while I was on vacation with my family, burglars broke into our home. Among other things, they stole my computer, my jewelry, and the safe with all my diaries!

The computer was backed up. The jewelry was insured. But my diaries!!! They're gone!

I am not sure if the burglars will be able to open the safe. It won't be easy. I picture them working for days and days on it, finally prying it open expecting to see jewels and cash, but instead finding a bunch of diaries! Ha! I'd love to see their faces then.

Actually, I'd love to see their faces in court. I am putting my faith in our police department. I hope they catch these thieves.

As for my diaries, I am sorry they are gone. But the act of creating them was more important than actually possessing them. I didn't go back and read them all that often. Still, it was comforting knowing my whole life was documented. I guess this is a lesson in letting go... a theme I write about quite often.

3 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

Wow! So sorry to hear about that, Brenda. It sounds like you're taking it remarkably well, though. I guess when you've put yourself mentally in Cara's place, the loss of some diaries is something you can cope with. But it's sure a lesson in backing up. Hope you're ok.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Brenda, what a violation! I'm so sorry to hear this--though glad it wasn't more serious and that you are coping. I, too, have taken comfort in knowing that I can look back 5 years, 10, 15 in my journals. It's sad to lose that.

Brenda said...

Thanks Jen and Lisa. My husband keeps saying, "I'm afraid one day you're going to realize your diaries are really gone and you're going to freak out!" But I think maybe Jen's right about my being helped by having lived in Cara's brain. Interesting!