Sunday, January 03, 2010

How To Be Married To An Author

Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. I know I did! I've been busy busy busy writing and then being with my family, so I'm just popping into the blogosphere to bring your attention to this fabulous essay written by Kristin Walker, author of the upcoming Match Made in High School. If you are a spouse of an author, or of any creative sort really, you should read this to see how to do it right.

For the record, my husband totally does it right. His perspective is all, "Oh, we're in that stage now?" This comment comes in handy whenever I say pretty much anything about the writing journey. I like it because it reminds me that all my moods will pass, no matter how dire they seem in the moment. It helps to take some of the power away from potentially overwhelming feelings of insecurity or uncertainty or fantasies of brilliance. It reminds me that I'm on a journey of my choosing. It's sometimes familiar, sometimes new and exhilarating, and sometimes frustrating. But it's my journey, and I know how truly fortunate I am to be experiencing it all.

No comments: