Thursday, October 16, 2008

Three Things on a Thursday (and a contest)

1. Jacob and Faith, my 8th graders, have been studying literary devices. They had to search in books to find examples of everything from "allusion" to "understatement" (and everything in between). I had fun helping them with this assignment, but I became aware of something... I don't use many literary devices in my writing. I just sort of tell the story. Hmmm...

2. There are 19 days until the election! I'm so nervous. The more Obama pulls ahead in the polls, the more I worry that people will think he's got it in the bag so they don't need to vote. Please... all you Obama supporters out there... don't forget to vote! 

As for you McCain supporters, if it's too cold on November 4th, you might want to stay inside. I mean, you don't want to get sick, right? Or what if it's raining? You for sure better stay home in that case. I mean, your hair will get all frizzy, and who wants that?  

3. Writing news (in three parts): 

a. After Michelle Andelman left Andrea Brown Literary Agency, I was reassigned to Caryn Wiseman. She is wonderful, and I am now quite certain ABLA only employs amazing agents. 

b. I'm writing a very detailed outline for my next novel. It almost feels like writing a first draft, but without the torture. 

c. I finally received my revision notes for THE YUCKIEST DROOLIEST STINKIEST BEST VALENTINE'S DAY EVER. Not too much left to change in this manuscript. Yay! It's all about the refrain. I go to sleep at night thinking about cynical wisecracking rhymes about love, and I wake up in the morning with a few more possibilities for the refrain. Don't you love being able to work in your sleep?

**CONTEST**
The first person to find three literary devices in this post will receive a FREE copy of JULIA'S KITCHEN!

No comments: