Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Have You Read a Book for Kids or Teens Lately?

This post is not aimed at my writer friends, because they already know how utterly amazing literature for kids and teens can be. No, this post is for the woman at the beauty shop yesterday. You know who you are. You were getting your highlights done right next to me, and you asked me what I was reading, and I said, "Will Grayson, Will Grayson," and you squinted your eyes and tilted your head in a way that prompted me to say, "It's a book for teens." And then you laughed.
Yes, you laughed dismissively, as if I must be missing a brain cell or two to be spending my hour in the colorist's chair reading a book for teens. I noticed you spent your hour reading Glamour, but I'll try not to hold that against you.


This post is also for the woman I met today at the library. You were checking out a few novels, and I recognized the one on the top of the pile as Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You, and, thinking I had found a kindred spirit, I said, "That is a fantastic book." And you said, "Really? My friend recommended it to me, but it was in the teen section. Isn't that weird?" And I said, "Well, it's written for teens." And you scrunched up your nose as if you smelled something putrid and said, "But it was in the teen section."

Hello, people out there in the world. Have you read a book written for kids or teens lately? Because if you haven't, you are missing out on some of the best literature being written today. And I'm quite certain that you all were kids and teens at one point in your life, so I bet you can find something to relate to. It's not all about wizards and vampires, you know (not that there's anything wrong with wizards and vampires). There are amazing books coming out every year. Take a stroll into the kids and teens section of your library or bookstore, and see for yourself. I promise I won't laugh at you.

No comments: