Thursday, May 06, 2010

Brain Burps About Books

With a title like that, you know it's gotta be good! Brain Burps About Books is an interactive, live Internet talk-radio show that focuses on anything that concerns great books for kids.


Hosted by author/illustrator Katie Davis, the show explores a range of subjects, from how teachers can extend books in their classrooms, to the inside scoop for aspiring children's writers who'd like to know how others got their start. Guests range from Newbery medalists to booksellers, agents, bloggers, and editors. (And on Monday... me!)

On Monday, May 10th at 4pm Eastern, Brain Burps about Books will examine the question, “How do you help a child who has to deal with death?” Katie (who happens to be hilarious and brilliant!) invited me to talk about my middle grade novel, Julia's Kitchen, about a girl whose mom and sister died in a fire.


I'll be joining New York Times Bestseller (The Kissing Hand) Audrey Penn discussing her new book, Chester Raccoon and the Acorn Full of Memories, about a child whose classmate has died due to an accident.

Child psychologist Dr. Paul Donahue, author of Parenting Without Fear will talk about the benefits of using books to help kids deal with difficult issues such as loss, grief, and mourning. The show will wrap up with Bird Bytes from School Library Journal blogger and New York Public Librarian, Betsy Bird.

I'm really looking forward to this interview because I have strong icky feelings about "bibliotherapy," and I get very uncomfortable thinking that kids who have experienced grief might be "prescribed" my book. However, I'm a huge proponent of using books as "vaccinations." In other words, the time to read about death is long before you have to face it in real life. But that's just my opinion. I can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks.

Please call (347) 857-4428 on Monday, May 10th between 4-5pm Eastern (That's 3-4pm in Chicago, people!) to add your comments or questions to the show. The stream and archives are available at http://www.BrainBurpsAboutBooks.com.

No comments: