Speaking of Valentine's Day, I guess now is the perfect time to tell you about my forthcoming picture book. It's called THE YUCKIEST, STINKIEST, DROOLIEST, BEST VALENTINE'S DAY EVER, and Harcourt will be publishing it sometime in the near future. (Near future in children's publishing is not actually "near." But I'm not complaining!)
In this story, lovestruck Leon is determined to give his crush a handmade Valentine, but his cynical, wisecracking Valentine comes to life and runs away. It's pretty silly stuff!
Interesting facts about YUCKIEST:
1. I collected over 70 rejections for this manuscript.
2. Leon is modeled after Sammy, and the Valentine is modeled after Jacob.
3. I originally wrote this story for Faith's class Valentine's Day party when she was in second grade.
4. The first time an editor ever called me was to lovingly reject this manuscript.
5. Less than 24 hours after submitting YUCKIEST to Michelle Andelman at Andrea Brown Literary Agency, I received an e-mail from her expressing interest in representing me. About six months later we had an offer from Harcourt to publish it.
In honor of Valentine's Week, I will post more details about each of these facts during the week.
Meanwhile, today I'm sending love to Stacie, one of my readers who sends me terrific e-mails about anything and everything!